View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Chaucer is fun to read, especially the tale [pun intended]

of the kissing of the arse out the window. -- Hahahaha

That's probably what got me interested in Chaucer; and I read Chaucer in Middle English!

I'm not up to ANY long reading in French or German - I still don't know it that well - just the occasional phrase while reading Derridian theory on literature and language -- hahahaha!! If you want torture (never mind Chaucer!!!), try reading Derrida. In Engish! This is when a prayere really is needed.

OFF-TOPIC FLASH: I've now been studying Spanish for about one year, primarily because of a Peruvian woman I've fallen in love with who lives in Peru. I visited Peru - Miraflores and surrounding districts in Lima - last year and fell in love with the culture.

Wish me luck!

Don

P.S.: Harry, what're you working on, what projects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not against translations which let people read books that they otherwise wouldn't be able to understand. I'm grateful for translations which let me read authors like Verne and Dumas - my French isn't up to reading the original.

I guess I just feel that - perhaps with the aid of notes - Chaucer isn't that tough to understand. But that's purely a personal opinion; I suppose that reading "classic" in any form is better than not reading it at all .

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-13-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote