View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Calibre speed and hierarchical tags

I was wondering what exactly is making calibre slow for me. I have 64 version. It loads quite fast and all, but when I edit metadata in bulk (even if it's just 2 books and just changing column #kindle to on/to/was). It often hangs for awhile and sometimes I even have to restart it.
For example, in my edit column I have 8 fixed values, changing that value for 8 books at the same time gives me freeze of 20 seconds.

I think the problem could be that I have a big mess with tags - some hierarchical some not (halfway done) - it's a big mess.

Does hierarchical tags slow down calibre a lot? If there is like 200 tags, grouped in a few categories and up to 3-4 levels? Does it slow it down even then tags aren't changed, only other columns are edited?

I'm considering just getting rid off hierarchical tags and creating columns for every category - most of them would be columns values like tags and some with a fixed values. Now I made 9 columns and two would need hierarchical tags in them (only two level) or I can just add a few more columns and avoid hierarchical tags. Which would be the better option?

I just hate the freezes after every metadata edit, would like to make it as small as possible but still keep all the metadata I want (tags, columns).

I'd just like some suggestions how to optimize. I already learned using program and not simple templates (it's supposed to be faster) for columns designed from other columns and I even disable them when I don't need them (writing nothing and pasting program in it only when I need to use that column)
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote