View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
M-Edge Prodigy vs. Amazon Case: Fight!

I got my M-Edge case today and since I still have the "official" Amazon Kindle Cover case (Amazon Cover for short) that I bought with the K2, I thought I'd give a quick comparison between the two for those that might be considering buying one of these two book-style cases (or upgrading from the Amazon case to the M-Edge).

My first impression of the M-Edge is that it is both wider and thicker than the Amazon Cover. I knew it was going to be wider, since the inside of the M-Edge has space to accommodate the reading light that M-Edge also sells. The thickness of the M-Edge surprised me a bit, since pictures I've seen of it suggested it might be about the same or perhaps even a little thinner than the Amazon Cover. But it's not - it's probably 1/4" thicker, perhaps a hair more. The added thickness combined with the width certainly makes the whole thing feel more bulky, especially when opened like a book - in that case it's really quite wide and you really notice a difference. Using it as I do, with the front of the cover folded around the back, it foes feel more bulky than the Amazon Cover, but it's still relatively comfortable to use that way, and I've gotten used to the added bulk pretty quickly. Obviously the benefit of the thickness is that it does provide better drop and knock protection for the Kindle itself.

The weight of the M-Edge is heavier, though by how much I can't say because I don't have a scale. The site lists the M-Edge at around 8.8 oz, though "half a pound" makes it sound heavier than it actually feels.

Aside from the bulk, the main difference between the two is that the M-Edge is much higher quality. The Kindle Cover, while technically made of leather, feels and looks synthetic to me. The M-Edge on the other hand looks, feels and smells like top-quality leather. It's a thing of beauty to hold in the hand. The stitching is even and looks great both inside and out. The attention to detail is clear when you open it and notice that the two straps on the right side are elastic but covered with patches of leather, which just gives it a feeling of quality. The interior is a soft synthetic fabric of some sort, but it has a nice suede feeling, and does not detract from the overall quality.

The other features of the M-Edge, namely the interior elastic straps and the exterior closure strap (belt? whatever), are minor, but make a big difference for the way that I use the cover. The elastic straps stop the Kindle from flopping around and that was one of the things that annoyed me slightly about the Amazon Cover. More importantly though, the exterior closure belt stops the case from coming open in my briefcase, which means I can safely throw it in there without worrying about the screen getting scratched. For those concerned, the belt slips behind the case and out of the way, and can be tucked behind the Kindle itself to stop it from flapping. The interior also has a few pockets for papers and business cards, though I don't really see that I'll use them. Still they are nice to have.

Finally, a word about price; the Amazon Cover lists for $30, while the M-Edge lists for $45. I ordered both through Amazon so the shipping was free, but (as a NY resident) there was tax on the Amazon Cover but not on the M-Edge, so the price difference is actually closer to $12. If you order the M-Edge through their website, which you may have to do for certain colors, you will pay shipping and the price will be significantly higher.

Since I was in the market for something lighter and thinner than the Amazon Cover, I can't say that I'm completely satisfied with the M-Edge. I still miss the case that came with my old PRS-500, which although it was synthetic and didn't offer much padding for protection, did manage to protect the screen nicely and was very light and thin. That said, I have to say that the quality of the M-Edge is so far superior to the Sony case or the Amazon Cover that I am quickly becoming very fond of it. And because it does offer better protection all-round than the Amazon Cover, I'm willing to put up with the added bulk.

I might still get another case for it for those times that I'm looking to travel very light. I did briefly consider the Octo sleeve, but because it wasn't real leather I decided against it, though if M-Edge came out with something similar I'd probably buy it. Until then, I think the M-Edge will be my daily commuter for the foreseeable future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k21.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	27242   Click image for larger version

Name:	k22.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	27243   Click image for larger version

Name:	k23.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	27246  

Last edited by weatherman; 04-08-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: updated bit about effect of added bulk while reading
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote