View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
markpearl
Enthusiast
markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Preserving foreign characters from epub to mobi in Calibre

I bought an epub book and have been trying to convert it to mobi for my wife's Kindle. It's translated from Japanese to English, but some of the principle characters named "Sōseki" and "Sanshirō" (I hope the symbols can be seen with everyone's browser), for example, are still accented.

With no "look & feel" options checked, the accented characters appear as question marks in mobi. And when I convert with the "unicode to ASCII" option, the accented nouns are replaced with "vanilla" English equivalents -- as the the option says it does.

Is there any way to preserve the identical accent marks and symbols in mobi with Calibre's conversion process? Any settings I may have overlooked? Or is this the best I can expect?

Thank you in advance for some assistance with this issue!

Last edited by markpearl; 07-30-2011 at 04:05 PM.
markpearl is offline   Reply With Quote