View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
[Device Plugin] Kindle 2, 3, 4, Touch Device Interface MBP Update Mod

Spawned originally in the FanFictionDownLoader plugin thread I came up with a small modification for the built-in Kindle device interface plugin.

This basically takes care of updating the *.mbp file, if available, to match the *.mobi file in case its UID changes (which happens during the EPUB->MOBI conversion process with FFDL when using a Kindle).

This might be useful for other purposes or scenarios so I am posting it here. Some people suggested that it might even be a change that could be integrated into Calibre directly but I'll leave that up to Kovid etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
[...]There was no easy and obvious way for it to work like I wanted, so I had to implement it as a device plugin that monkey-patches the built-in "Kindle 2/3/4/Touch Device Interface".

There should be no problems when Calibre updates, as long as there are no not-backwards compatible changes to the API.

To install it first disconnect your Kindle, disable the built-in "Kindle 2/3/4/Touch Device Interface" plugin in the "Device Interface plugins" section and then install my mod. After that simply restart Calibre.

Here is the code for anyone curious. As I said, I'm not responsible for any damage that it might cause -- I can just state that it works on my end.

And to clarify again: Using this simply allows you to keep your current reading location along with other metadata when you update a story with FFDL while using a Kindle or somehow else cause its UID to change. For example you are reading a story called "XYZ" and are currently at location ABC. Now usually when you would update the story with FFDL your current location would be reset, your highlights would disappear etc. -- using this they don't.
EDIT: After some testing with my new touch-generation device (Kindle Paperwhite) my plugin seems to be obsolete. So for anyone planning to make use of this plugin: only do so if your Kindle is not a touch-generation device.

The plugin is attached below.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kindle 2, 3, 4, Touch Device Interface MBP Update Mod.zip (905 Bytes, 849 views)

Last edited by cryzed; 05-26-2014 at 04:56 PM.
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote