View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I am not affiliated with any of the fanfiction writers or author's that created these. Just liked the stories and wanted them to be more accessible to people.
As much as I like fanfiction in epub format... unless these are released under Creative Commons licenses, or the authors have given permission for them to be archived in other places, this is against Mobileread's rules (for which I have some respect), copyright law (for which I have considerably less) and the ethics of most fanfic communities (for which I have enough respect to mention it, knowing that the links are probably going to be removed, sigh).

A lot of fanfic authors want to keep track of where their stories are hosted, and many prefer to keep them in forums where they can get reviews & other feedback. Grabbing fanfic w/o permission and reposting it in a new place online, even if the original place was a free, open-view site, is a bad idea. It's legally wrong (although not particularly actionable, other than by takedown notice), and it's been known to convince authors to hide their works under various locks, which I'd like to not happen.

I know, there's a great temptation to share the work. It feels wasteful to do all that formatting just for one person's reading. I have dozens of fanfics I've put into Reader-sized PDFs... that I can't share.

If you're going to post fanfic to new locations online, please get author permission first.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote