View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #184
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/09/...rwhite-review/

I have not read the thrad in a while. I apologize if this is old news. But the CNN article above says that they dealt with the lighting problems abd have a new lighting system.
I always find it foolish when reviews have titles such as these:

"The best e-reader is about to get even better."

The Kindle Paperwhite (1) is a good e-reader, but I can think of about half a dozen things at least, that one or more readers do better:

- Font options (Kobo)
- More storage space (Basically everyone)
- SD-Card, despite having more storage space (Basically everyone)
- Smaller (Kobo Aura)
- EPUB support (Everyone; granted, Calibre nullifies that to great extent)
- More languages for the GUI of the reader
- Dictionaries available in more languages
- Better support through Calibre, such as managing folders and collections (Amazon seems to actively work against this)

The fact that Kobo's customer support and software stability (and waste of space) have a bad name and Sony still does not have a lighted e-reader are the cause of me having a Kindle. All other manufacturers can only be had in the Netherlands through two stores that specialize in e-readers and the devices are as expensive, if not more expensive than the KPW and Kobo's because of import costs (and because the seller has to cover the warranty and arrange swaps or repairs with remote sellers in other countries).

If the Kindle could:
1. Get Kobo's customization options
2. Get an SD-Card slot
3. Work together with Calibre (at least, Amazon quitting to work against this)

THEN it would be the best e-reader, bar none, hands down. Because of Calibre, I'm waiving EPUB support; as long as Calibre can convert from EPUB into the reader's native format, and do it well, I don't really care about the format the reader uses.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-11-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote