View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #42
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I prefer the flexibility of being able to build my own computer to fit my needs having the ability to upgrade it without buying a completely new computer. And like it or not, if Apple had to rely only on it's computer business it would be struggling and or out of business. My point is that they look to be using the same business model with their current business model and if so they may find Google and others may capture the majority of the market share. I am talking survivability here not the merits of one company's hardware over another.
Apache
On the whole there is far less importance to computer hardware than there used to be... very few people now run anything that seriously stretches the hardware (excluding top-end games) and most of us just want to get on with our work and hobbies rather than play with hardware to tweak couple of extra clock cycles... and I would point out that my first computer work involved a pre-transistor (let alone IC) device constructed at school - it occupied 2 cubic metres, was relay/diode construction and had a magnificent 256 bytes of memory programmed by front panel switches (or occasionally paper tape when allowed)... that was fine because that was the work we were doing but these days the major problems I get from clients concern the system distracting from the work by "computing" getting in the way... the computers we have now are so powerful and yet still so damned inefficient in many ways but I get far fewer problems from people with Macs, iPads etc than PC users.

Personally I love PCs... they cause people to give me money far better than Apple products...

As for upgrades, I prefer having a computer that doesn't need upgrades every five minutes to function properly... I still use a 2nd generation Intel iMac comfortably and it even happily runs Windows 7 - haven't tried with Win 8 yet but I may do so... and I regularly upgrade the hard disks I use for it and find no problems with my current 8TB of storage. As for computer business struggling - why is Apple's tablet not computing but everyone else's is?? My newly acquired iPad 4 sure computes for me... as does its 500GB external drive, a beautiful Lithium polymer powered 2.5" hard drive running over Airtime...