View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
performance of conversion is exactly the same as my mechanical drives (SSD's are Vertex 3's, mech are old Hitachi Deskstars which are well looked after)
I disagree. Non-CPU bottlenecked conversions run faster from an SSD than from HDD. I realized that when I had a script that kept timing out on me without the Calibre conversion finishing (max execution time: 600s/10 mins). Moved to an SSD and the whole thing finished in just 6 mins. I had to do a batch conversion of around 3,000 ebooks and the entire process finished a couple of hours faster on the SSD.

Seriously, the amount of writes Calibre does is very minimal when compared to an SSDs overall longevity. To put things in perspective, a 120/128GB SSD with a conservative 3,000 P/E cycle NAND rating is capable of at least 375TB host writes. Typical users write around 3-5GB per day. With 375TB available host writes, it will take 210 years before the NAND runs out of P/E cycles.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote