Thread: Literary Middlemarch by George Eliot
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I haven't read Silas Marner. I can see I'm going to have to read George Eliot's other books! The only other one I have read was The Mill on the Floss as a set text when I was doing English at University about a hundred years ago, and I don't remember much about it except the sad ending.

Fred grew on me as the story unfolded, I suppose as he started to take some responsibility for his actions - I was appalled by him to start with. But then he too was a product of his indulgent family, and he was decent, as you say, fantasyfan. And he had the sense to recognise Mary's goodness and strength, rather than taking off after a pretty face because she was severe with him.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote