View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
I can well believe this, although I wouldn't assume every SW developer works as your office did.
Sure. For one thing, we actually had and R&D group. It was small (3/4 of my time, plus smaller fractions of a few other folks), but it did exist. Most SW developers don't even have that. As an optimizing compiler developer with heavy roots in academia, we had real incentive to stay on top of recent technology. And to invent things of our own. It was our key differentiator from other players in our market.

I recognize that things may be different at other companies. Most of my reason for telling that story is to remind people that the incentives to publish really are there with patents, and really aren't there with copyright and trade secret protection. Assuming, that is, that you are doing anything that was publishable (or patentable) in the first place.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote