View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #552
jjallenupthehill
Enthusiast
jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
No loss of focus, just reiterating the most important point.

Your whole thrust of comparing one in a billion individuals to people who actually have to learn the work they do was amusing. I bet they could also put X squares in a rectangle with dimensions Y by Z with no trouble too.
You think you don't need to learn this stuff? What on earth do you do for a living? I'm sure I could ridicule and trivialise that too, same as with almost any profession.

Your complete denial of any skill or talent in design is really interesting. It's either mischievousness or complete ignorance. By this I mean ignorance in the true sense of the word as in 'having absolutely no knowledge of' instead of the perjorative term.

Design has common principles across all its different disciplines. When you study design you genuinely do have to learn to appreciate the principles of context, contrast, balance, harmony, consistency etc. Some people are naturally more tuned to this stuff than others. It's not just sitting in a studio with a pencil behind your ear for 3 years (5 or 6 for architecture) screwing around and waiting for inspiration, with a bit of sketching thrown in.

Your point is almost analogous to comparing a professional musician to a high school student, and saying "It's just musical notes, played in the right order".

The point is that just because something looks easy, doesn't mean to say it is.

You can substitute Michael Schumacher for Takuma Sato or Messi for Dejan Lovren (Croatian defender, plays for Lyon) if you are sensitive about demeaning the work of true masters, but it still doesn't change the fact that good design requires just as much skill, studying,talent and practice as many other things.

You can, (and probably will) dispute this, but you'll be wrong, because you don't understand design and your perspective is skewed.