View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #550
jjallenupthehill
Enthusiast
jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jjallenupthehill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I can believe that it is possible to waste lots of time doing something any talented high school student could complete in minutes. That still does not even remotely compare to the work involved in the design of significant functional blocks in a smartphone.
Yeah, right. That Michael Schumacher, what was all the fuss about? He just drives a car fast and does a bit of overtaking. There's no skill, he doesn't even have to drive in reverse!

And that Lionel Messi? He just kicks a ball around. He's so good because he's small and nimble. Everyone else is too big and slow to catch him. I bet I could do that if that was all I had concentrated on since I was about 4!

They are paid so much more than programmers or hardware designers, people who do really hard stuff, for stuff anyone can do. it's a massive injustice.

99% of phones are functionally more or less identical. They make phone calls, access the internet, send and receive messages and run apps. The main differences are design and price. Apple have proved that design matters, because people are prepared to pay a lot more for it. It's the design that has made Apple the most valuable company in the world.

Pretty good for something 'that could be done by a high school student in 15 minutes!'

You probably ought to accept that design is something you just 'don't get'. It's fine. There are lots of things I don't understand either. Like finance or electricity or Justin Bieber, and I'm sure you function a lot better in the world than I do!

To some people, paying more for Apple products is like a red rag to a bull, and they will use words like "sheeple". But - it's the same principle as buying a BMW or an Audi instead of a Daewoo, or an Omega instead of a Timex.
It always amuses me when I hear BMW drivers railing about idiots who overspend on Apple products.

Quote:
Maybe so, but that does not detract from the fact that it is trivial compared to the real work and education involved in functional design.
Not necessarily. Depends entirely on exactly what 'functional design'. Some are just algorithms for managing processes more efficiently. We're not talking about Nobel prize stuff, they are just mobile phones after all.

Quote:
If the design look is unique enough then maybe it deserves trademark protection, but it certainly is well outside of the class of work deserving patent protection.
That's fair, but I accepted that already, as you will see if you have read all the earlier posts. Do keep up

I can completely understand how you might have lost focus though :P