View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #1163
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktjw View Post
I am thining of getting a Kindle Fire or color Nook, but need to know if all the books I bought for my Sony E Reader will be readable on either of these. I figured you would know since you have at least 1 of everything. Thanks.
You got me: I've got neither nook color, nor Kindle Fire.
But from what I've heard, you can open both of them, with some effort, to the Android market.
Meaning: You can install various reading apps on both.
Personally, I wouldn't rely on the Sony reader app to work. (Both easily could "sabotage" a competing app. It may or may not work for now, but you never know what happens after another firmware update).
I wouldn't be surprised, if both B&N and Amazon would kind of block this.
But Bluefire reader and other ePUB apps should be working fine.
So, in the "worst" case, you would have to strip the EPUBs from DRM and then side load them to a 3rd party reading app.
Kindle Fire, being Amazon, won't accept ePUBs in the native Amazon reader, which only allows for Mobipocket files (respectively the Amazon modification of AZW files). So you'll certainly need a 3rd party reading app or have to convert your files to Mobipocket.
nook color, using ePUBs itself, should be easier. You might not need a 3rd party app, but probably can sideload ePUBs directly to the native nook reader.
Anyway:
Option #1: Installing the Sony reader app. I wouldn't rely on it, being a "competitive" app, but it might work = no stripping from DRM, no conversion needed.
Option #2: Stripping the ePUBs from DRM and side loading them to the native readers. On nook without conversion (directly using the DRM-free ePUBs), on Kindle after converting the ePUBs to Mobipocket.
Option #3: Stripping the ePUBs from DRM, installing a 3rd party app on the gadget and side loading your ePUBs. Should be working and should be easy enough.

Meaning: You certainly will be able to use your ePUBs, but it might take some effort. But all of this is very well documented and you'll get all the support you need from the scene.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-05-2012 at 04:14 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote