View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkr1410 View Post
There was at least one case, filing of which under 'horror-stories' seems a bit dismissive:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right...183817150.html

I'd LOVE to get choose your adventure books, or a notepad app, but am a bit concerned, that maybe Amazon shut the lady's account down just for that reason
I've seen this case (or a similar one).
Discussion was about a closed account, linked to that lady's account.
From what I've read, it never became quite clear, why the other account had been shut down. And why there had been at least 2 accounts.
All did seem a bit fishy, there even was the impression of some illegal activities on the shut-down account...

The way I've described is different. Not 2 accounts, but 2 (or more) countries/addresses within the very same account.
Amazon even at some stage (ca. 3 months ago) did promote this.
I've posted some snapshots in some other thread. Amazon stated (in my German account) something like "would you like to shop from Amazon US? Switch accounts now"...

Should you be moving your residency permanently, of course you're allowed to switch accounts.
What if you're in the US for business for, let's say, 2 months?
Where's the line?
So far, I myself didn't reach any limits.
Maybe one shouldn't switch countries back and forth frequently per day.
But once per month or so?

And I really think, Amazon won't mind. They totally control it.
I've bought 2 Kindle Fire HDs: The 7" one in Germany, the 8.9" only was/is available from the US.
When using the German account, some services I can use on my 7" Fire HD, but not on the 8.9" one.
Amazon did explain this, same snapshots as mentioned a few sentences above:
Lovefilm for example only is working on the 7". On the 8.9" I cant even see the shop, it's blocked. Obviously because the 8.9" one is a US unit.
So obviously Amazon is able to block contents as they please. And that's what they stated in the snapshots I took.
Meaning: I'm not worried. I'm not doing anything illegal. I'm using a valid credit card and my actual billing address.
Amazon doesn't state anywhere, that you have to be a US citizen. You don't even have to live permanently in the US. They only state something like "valid address".
In my personal case, I guess I'd be safe here. I didn't give some fantasy address, but one that really had been linked to me: My (back then) employer's offices, which I even did visiti from time to time...
And like I said:
- Amazon accepts my German credit card for purchases in the US.
- Amazon doesn't check my IP address.
- Amazon a few months ago in detail did explain the process (some stuff I can buy from the US, some I can't) on their website.
I think it simply is legal.
Not for movies, similar to country restrictions of DVDs. That's why Lovefilm is blocked on my US Kindle Fire HD.
Not for some apps.
But for books.
But no problem: Whatever I buy on my German Kindle Fire HD becomes available on the US one as well. I just can't buy some stuff directly on the US one.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-22-2013 at 06:17 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote