View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I don't know how long it's been on the site but over on http://www.shantaram.com/ the author mentioned he is working on a sequel as well. I don't wanna offer any spoilers but I sure liked how Shantram ended. It was just right and not entirely certain a sequel is needed. Sometimes I think publishers convince authors to visit the well too often and can diminish the significance of the original novel.

Then again they might want the sequel in order to create a more sanitized movie from the original book. I suspect few studios really would take a script as close to Shantram even though the rumor of a movie has been kicking around for a long time now. But since it would almost have to be a large studio to take on a project of this size, it's going to be expensive to make this movie, so studios are going to need to dumb down and sanitize the thing in an attempt to appeal to enough people. Now I loved the movie adaptation of Lawrence of Arabia but I have concern they would try and turn Shantaram into that sort of "feel good" movie, thus taken away the very sympathetic yet dark nature of Lin and the book in general.

And a sequel might be needed to get a studio to really consider the project. Plus the movie would been to be at least 3.5hrs long to do it justice and take a couple years to shoot. That would be a hard sell. I rather think a Showtime series would be a much better option with say 3-4 two-hour episodes. Even a Masterpiece Theater/BBC mini-series might be better but that would likely be even further sanitized and tamed compared to the novel. But I do think that Showtime, maybe HBO but they don't seem to be able to deliver the best mini-series these days and of the couple the have over the past few years they just have been milked. And last thing I want to see is yet another series as tedious as "Big Love"...awk!

Addition: I just noticed this document on the Shantaram site by the author discussion his process for writing Shantaram http://www.shantaram.com/pages/Shant...ecture2010.pdf I gave it just a cursory gloss over and it seems interesting and but also might contain too many plot spoilers for some people. It might be better read by people who have already completed the novel. I am one to not want to know too much about a novel before I begin reading it. So "buyer beware",

Last edited by snipenekkid; 03-07-2011 at 09:23 AM.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote