View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #44
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The pre-store version was, umm, not up to normal ebook quality standards. Not even for darknet editions. See attached image.

The "carpet edition" was probably the only way to have it accepted, though, because several novel-length fanfics had been grabbed, retitled "Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows," and uploaded to torrent and filesharing sites. It'd take photos, not OCR'd pages, to convince people it was real.

People who'd bought three or four copies (one for themselves, one for each child in the house, one for a friend) downloaded the carpet edition in order to read it before sales started, so they could go online that day without the risk of jerks announcing who dies before they got the chance to read it.
All I can say is that I saw the lrf version of it on a Sony Reader while I was waiting in line for the witching hour to hit and B&N to break open the boxes. It looked very well done, with no obvious errors and the parts that I looked at were exactly what I read a bit later in the hard back version. My understanding is that a group of readers took the pictures, split them up and OCR'ed them. When you have enough people involved it can be done very fast and quite accurate. It's a lot easier to have 100 people proof reading 10 pages each. The person who had it, also bought a book, so it wasn't like she lost a sale, but it does illustrate my point that any book that people want is out there on the dark net and if it's popular enough, odds are it may be better proofed than the official version.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote