View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticmic View Post
calibre, version 0.7.43
ERROR: Failed to start content server: [Errno 13] Permission denied

This is the error when the port is set to 80.

I reset it to 8080

My mate tried accessing outside my network http://ip address:8080 and couldn't connect

I can put the http://ip address:8080 in and it works.

I am using an Airport extreme router and an iMac, I haven't got a clue about how to forward ports, so any help will be great
There are 2 different IP addresses involved, and they both can change (Local DHCP and ISP's DHCP). Needless to say your outside address is not stable (unless you paid for a Static IP), there are services (like dyndns.org) that help get around this.

The one on your inside network, you can control
1) Set it manually (instead of letting it use the DHCP assigned one)
2) Set your router to always give that system, the same (reserved) address.

#2 is the clear choice if your system is portable and used on other networks, you want the flexibility to use other networks.

I am not a Mac or Airport person, so I can't give specific instructions. (the full manual has way better instructions)

If you have both the Airport AND a DSL/Cable router (not bad, just not simple) Stop, get on-site help, you have layers that must play together.

to "reserve" a specific address you need the unique 'MAC' (Media Access Control) address that is burned into every network device, from YOUR Calibre host computer: like,
Code:
00:80:77:36:fa:e2
(hackers: this one is for my Brother networked Printer ) it may be on a label on the back/bottom or a on a 'status' screen for your net connection.
There is a router setting that will assign the same IP every time that MAC is connected (usually outside the automatic range).

port forwarding, is simply a setting that say Outside requests to port 8080 should be passed thru to a pre-set machine ONLY. (sometimes referred to opening a pin-hole in you firewall).
you need to set 8080 to forward to your machine.(that you locked its address down to a 'given'.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote