Thread: Extreme Editing
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Extreme Editing

I just slashed more than 10,000 words from my novel draft. Boy did that hurt.

That makes over 80,000 words cut since January. I started with one novel at 50k and the other at 185k and they're both now sitting at a hair above 100k.

The 185k book (Lethe) was drafted when I was an oblivious practitioner of loggorrhea (via over-description and ultra-petty minute action).

In revising I came across repeated scenes, and didn't cut just one of them, I cut both.

Painful work, but I think the end result will be much more readable. The loss of detail will also make it a bit more mysterious, though hopefully not too cryptic.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote