View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Having both, I think I can give a fair comparison. Here are my opinions/thoughts/observations

Cybook -
Pros;
  1. Discionary support
  2. Any True Type font and includes all variations (bold, italics, etc.)
  3. More mature software
  4. Better implementation of Mobipocket support
Cons;
  1. Need to do better on SW updates and fixing known problems
  2. No page numbers. Instead there is a bar indicating how far into the book you are
  3. Slow booting

EZ Reader (as I understand it, essentially the same as BeBook) -
Pros;
  1. Heavier & appears more sturdy - also a little thicker
  2. More rugged (i.e. stronger) seeming leather case
  3. Supposedly has the ability to add True Type fonts (more later on this)
  4. Nice hardware interface (better buttons & more of them, etc.)
  5. Shows actual page numbers
  6. Boots quickly
  7. Allows folders and sub-folders (this is good to categorize your books as you want them)
  8. Bookmarks show a few lines of text (at least for PRC books)
  9. Working hard to satisfy customers

Cons;
  1. Each format as its own (slightly different) look & feel interface (i.e. there seems to be little or no consistency between the interfaces of the different formats)
  2. I've had several hangups with PRC books - very little experience with other formats)
  3. Books often open at some previous place rather than where you were last reading
  4. Page numbers (last page) sometimes gets confused

Bottom line, I like them both. I think the Cybook is currently the better but the EZ Reader has better potential once they get the SW working correctly and there is better consistency among the various formats.

I apologize for the length of this post. I usually go with shorter answers.

Last edited by slayda; 12-16-2008 at 10:46 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote