View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 04:22 AM   #10
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Better scrolling in continuous mode

Aside from the usual power management fix,

I think pdf support it's a little buggy for large pdfs: Mainly the buffering algorithm needs to be unproved: my DR seems to take too much time (30s+) rendering some pages (and that's with the CPU at full speed...) and more often than not it will just hang. But this it's just a bug, not really a feature.

Feature request:

I usually read pdfs in continuous mode with margin crop, but that's not enough to disple an entire A4, a little it's left out and you have scroll using pan.

But I you don't wanna use the stylus (I have mine turned off for better battery life...), you must use the keys, and I've found that the amount of scroll per key press isn't always right, and there is a lot of wasted screen just displaying the blank page separation graphics.

So I'd like to propose a better key-scroll.

While in continuous mode with margin crop if you click the pan icon, horizontal keys (< 0 >) would scroll only within the limits of the current page, while lateral keys would operate as usual: page forward/backward.

This is not difficult to implement and I think it would make the reading experience much more efficient. And because of the aforementioned blank space problem I don't really think it would increment the screen refreshes per page, since we would need 2 refreshes/ page as usual.

---
2) I need to figure out the exact workings of the margin crop function (I haven't used it with image based pdfs, yet...). But I suspect that it has a white detection trigger.
IMHO for text based pdfs the function could be a little more aggressive and just barely crop to the width of the text layer. Ignoring background elements.

Does anybody know a bit more about how it works?
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote