View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I can add my own comments to the questions I can. Specific questions about iBooks is probably gonna be hard to come by until the iPad launches (Apple was very sparse on information).

1) You can always use Calibre or the like and set the viewing size. I don't see this as being a huge deal at this point. As long as the ePub is not using px numbers for sizes, we should be okay with font sizes/etc. The real issue here is that most readers are 160-200 DPI, and this is only 130dpi. Images and fonts will appear larger on the lower-DPI screens when we use strict pixel measurements.

2) Apple made no mention about side-loading existing ePubs, or ADE, and I'm assuming they will be using their own DRM (if any, since as a sandbox, it's locked down without any for the most part). Even if they are using ADE or no DRM, there is still the huge question about side-loading. I'm expecting this to be a fractured experience as everyone still has Stanza, Kindle for iPad, and iBooks all on the same device. It's gonna get ugly.

3) See my comments in #1 about this. With a lower-than-normal DPI, pixel values will get ballooned up, but non-pixel values should suit fine and allow some control over scaling.

4) I don't really think so. 63K is still the limit for MOBI, and so if you target the Kindle, you are stuck with it.

5) No idea. Depends on how the text is handled when switching to landscape.

6) *shrug* I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is using WebKit to assist with rendering though.

7) Like what? For ePub there isn't a whole lot you can do that really reflects screen size unless we talk about images with text and fine details in them.

8) I'd imagine they would be kept separate for now. I can see convergence happening, but with the way a lot of sites use RSS/atom feeds right now, it's hard to merge the two. Just look at Calibre to see how messy it can get without custom formatted articles for the devices in question.

9) No clue.

10) Plugins are pretty much out on the iPhone/iPad for other software, due to the security sandbox Apple is using (there have to be APIs to get out of the sandbox, like there are for contacts, photos, etc). Odds are the iBooks app won't support annotations.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote