View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
It sounds as thought there has been a miscommunication.

I first offered to help create a bilingual edition of only those poems which are used in famous song cycles.

Someone then said they couldn't find adequate English translations (which are what I'd offered to help create).

At which point someone else suggested I download the complete works of Heine instead (which is odd, since Winterreise is based on poems by Wilhelm Müller -- though I will admit to preferring the fragile and moribund aesthetic of Dichterliebe).

Whereupon I tactfully asked whether that version was bilingual (expecting anyone who thought about the question to realize it wasn't).
  1. The original upload on this thread is intended to be read while listening to Schubert's song cycle, Winterreise.
  2. I often find that I hate the English translations of Ruckert, Heine, Goethe, Holderlin, etc, which are included with recordings of lieder by Schubert, Schumann, Mahler, Wolf, et al.
  3. My thought was that it would be fun to create a bilingual edition of poems to read specifically while listening to recordings of lieder.

Is that not an idea in the spirit of DE's original upload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faltradl View Post
If you talk about this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196583

No, it's only german.

Of course it's only german. If I look into "The complete Joyce" I do not expect any translation. Only if there is told somthing about bilingual, or the title is "Der komplette Joyce" (german title).

Perhaps you must buy a real book to get your translation. If there are any available.

An other idea: Look for musicsheets of the songs. There are often translations unter the original text. Not very good, because it must fit to the music. But better than nothing.

Greetings
Faltradl

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-18-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote