View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Recurring characters can become a lazy man's way of cranking out novels.
Or it can be an ambitious and ingenious exercise in building a world we wish to return to again and again, with a cast of characters we come to know and love.

There's nothing inherently wrong with series. They can be done well, or they can be done as a sad money grab. Sometimes a given series can be both, when an author doesn't know when to quit.

You use the phrase "from my vantage point as a reader" - when I am reading for pleasure, this is all that matters. I care not about the publisher's motives, the author's desires or a literature professor's opinions - I only care that I enjoy the experience.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote