Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #979
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2011 View Post
Thanks for this. I will try those fonts. I have OSX and my Times New Roman fully supports Arabic script. The characters are all displayed correctly in Times New Roman, the sizes are wrong. I have attached an azw3 I have created out of open-available text on the web. These were created with Calibre. Please remove the .zip extension.
Thank you. First things first (and a big disappointment maybe). The file looks great in each and every font I tried. Compared to the english part of it every size I tried (I only tried the ones that are standard - without custom sizes or options out of JBPatch) they look about the same size. Some fonts change the arabic font of the text. If I use any of the 6 normal fonts of the PW however, then it defaults to the embedded font that is attached. Or my guess would be that it defaults to the default font that is installed on the PW - and assuming that the font you attached to the azw3 is simply lacking arabic characters. The first 2 images (pubsmall and publarge) are screenshots of the smallest size and the 2nd largest by default PW settings with the publisher font enabled (the one that is embedded). For comparison I attached a few more with different fonts - all on the same 2nd largest size) You can see, that on some the arabic font is displayed different. For simplicity I just going to name the picture after the font I used.

Very intersting things:
- Arial (the only one that says is designed for arabic, shows the exact same font that the embedded one does)
- Times New Roman - has no arabic as expected - defaults to standard arabic - this is the windows font though, not the one out of macos
- arabic typesetting shows very beautifully - but renders slow - not sure though if it is easier to read or not it is too bad that that font only comes in reguar - no italic or bold
- both tahoma and tektron pro show different style (that looks similar to the english) even though they are not supposed to support arabic

I really can't see what your problem is, all appears to be fine on my PW.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote