View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #124
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by melitabel View Post
I assume some of the issues will be the same, so posting questions here.

I have the file on a USB drive, it's a zip file (not saved as zip.zip). Followed the directions, but it just turned on normally, no update. I'm leaving work now, will try again when I get home but in the meantime -

1. How do I know whether the USB drive is formatted as FAT? I can't reformat this one, I have too much on it, so if that's the problem I have to get another USB drive (or find one of the others that is sitting around someplace).

It's only a 2 GB device, so that's not the problem. The file isn't in a folder. The Edge can detect the file - that is, when I go to Device Storage from the Applications menu, I see the update file listed along with others that are stored on the USB drive.

So I guess if the stick is formatted as FAT, I just try again. But I think verifying the format type is first. Thanks all, you are awesome.
To find out about the USB stick, assuming you have windows on your computer.
Plug it into the computer and wait for it to connect.
Open 'windows explorer' and highlight the drive.
Right click (or left click if you have changed to a left handed mouse) on the highlight and scroll down to 'properties', that will a dialogue box that will give all the information you need.

You may have problems if the zip is on a USB stick with other files because it might be fragmented. It is best on a stick by itself - you could copy everything off the stick to a temp directory on your computer then format it and copy back the update.zip. Then when you are updated delete the zip from the stick and copy back all the other files.

All of what I describe about windows is taken from a copy of XP that I have running in a VM on my computer so things might be slightly different if you are using win7.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote