View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Converting from MS Word 2007 (.docx) to MOBI

Hello,

I am brand-new to this forum and also to the world of eBooks, so please be patient with me. I am thinking about buying a Kindle 3G, but don't have any eReader yet. I have used the forum's search feature, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by ALL the information available here!

I have a book that's in both MS Word 2007 (.docx) and PDF formats. I would like to get it into a format that Kindle can read (MOBI?). From what I can gather from searching the forum, I need to get the Word document into unfiltered HTML format first. Then I can convert into MOBI by using Calibre? Is that correct? Or is there a free conversion program that can do this more directly (from .docx straight to MOBI), that produces excellent results?

If I do use Calibre, are there intermediate steps that I need to take to clean up the messy HTML that's produced using Word's "save as unfiltered HTML" before Calibre can properly convert it to MOBI? If so, what do you suggest? Is the BookCreator macro what I need to do that most efficiently? I do know HTML, but I don't know exactly what needs to be corrected for proper conversion.

Do I need to specify margins at all, or does Calibre do this automatically? If I do need to specify margins, what ARE the suggested margins? Do I need to specify that there's a page break before the start of every chapter? Having never even used an eBook reader before, I don't know what the output is supposed to look like!

Thanks to anyone for your assistance with this. I know that I will catch on quickly once I know that I'm heading in the right direction!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote