View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #70
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi, Vaesse, I'm glad you find it useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaesse View Post
I just stumbled across your nifty plugin and while my poor Kindle doesn't do all I would like it to in this regard (I also would love it to either let me select the screensaver on device or automatically select the "right" cover for the book I last read), this takes it one more step closer.
Yes. I'm afraid those extras need to be handled at the Kindle end, either by Amazon firmware upgrade or a talented jailbreak hacker.

Quote:
In answer to a question I didn't see anyone answer, I personally have almost 300 books on my Kindle, can certainly imagine going into the low thousands, and would love to be able to have covers of all the books on the Kindle as screensavers (as per your quick count, I often power off my Kindle MANY times a day, since I read in short bursts when I can, so I cycle through the screensavers faster). I understand your limit of 99 for avoiding accidental mistakes in adding way too many covers, but here's an idea... make that a max of 99 PER synch. Then I could add all my covers 99 at a time (no clearing).
I've put development of this plugin on hold for the time being. Partly because I'm working on another personal project but also because I'm interested to see what features this year's new ereader models might add re: screensavers. They may make this plugin redundant. But even if they don't, I may want to spend some time accommodating other changes.

I'm not really sure how great the demand for hundreds (or thousands) of covers is, as many people just want to see the covers of books they're currently reading. Another reason I kept it to 99 was because I wanted to keep older plugin versions' filenaming consistent, calibrenn.jpg, but since I added the 'delete all existing cover images' features I guess this is less important. The idea to limit each 'batch size' would be a reasonable compromise to avoid accidents.

Quote:
Secondarily, let me also raise my hand in request of an automatic "add cover when adding new book" option. Of course, for that to work, I'd have to have the higher limit...
To achieve this, I think the functionality of this plugin would need to be included in the main Calibre program. Kovid has indicated that this is unlikely for ereaders which are relying on jailbreaking or other hackery.

Quote:
Forgot to mention: I'm abundantly willing to Beta test on my jailbroken Kindle 3, though I can't guarantee any promptness as I'm a stay-at-home mom and sometimes my schedule is very free and sometimes out of the blue it gets ridiculous!
I may hold you to that if I do a new release
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote