Thread: Impact on iPad?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #15
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
I'm not sure if you even meant that post as a rational statement, but here goes anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
If readers weren't as crippled as they are, they'd have many of the same functions as an iPad, and people would buy them for similarly varied reasons.
I know a half-dozen people who own Sony 505s, and not one of them uses any of the additional features (eg mp3 player, picture viewer, games.) They bought them to read ebooks. Dedicated ebook readers are only "crippled" from your point of view.

Quote:
They are only "specialized" because they cannot do anything particularly well, and displaying badly typeset text is pretty much the simplest thing after a calculator.
The current ereader market shows you are badly mistaken. The reason ereaders like the Sony, Kindle & Nook are so successfully is because they work well as ebook readers - even with their current faults.

And are you attempting to imply that "displaying badly typeset text" would somehow be better on the iPad with it's color LCD + bells & whistles? The characterisation of the text is more a quality of the document not the reader - although some readers do have issues with some parts of existing standards. (eg. older ADE-based ereaders can't handle justification, iPad can't handle embedded fonts, etc.)

Quote:
My guess is that many people do buy iPads primarily for reading (I've even entertained the idea a few times myself), and many of the other functions are just extra justification. More power to them.
Again, your "guess", your "idea". I know a couple of people who actually have iPads - not one of them bought it for the ereader capability. In fact, only one actually has any books on his.

Quote:
I'd like it if the iPad were a bit higher res and wasn't so tethered, and if there were some decent ebook reading programs out there for it.
If, in your opinion, there aren't even any "decent ebook reading programs" for the iPad, then why would people "buy iPads primarily for reading"? And how could you possible see it as an non-crippled ebook reader?

Your points of view are inconsistent and do not seem to match reality.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote