View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #24
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Well, I brought my Nook to B&N store and talked to the clerk at the Nook counter. My Nook was at 85% when I left the house and when I turned it on in the store it was at 83% and actually went down to 82% while we were looking at it and discussing the problem (!).

He proceded to call a technical support person. He described the problem and support said that she suspected the charger (which struck me and the guy as kind of strange). So, she had him connect my charger. It proceeded to charge the Nook and we saw the level go up, to 89% in a few minutes, which seemed pretty fast. Again, there seemed to be no reason why we were doing this, but the supprt person continued to say she suspected the charger.

So, the clerk gave me a spare charger that they had and told me to wait till the Nook got low and use this different charger just to see if it would make a difference. We were both pretty skeptical. At this point, my Nook was at 89% and he disconnected it from my old charger (which he kept) and I took it home.

But here is the WEIRD thing. The Nook is now behaving correctly. It lost no power from the time I got it home while it slept for 8 hours during the day, only 1 or 2% while I read for several hours, and then no power lost overnight.

So the only thing that was done, by chance, to correct it was hooking it up to the charger and charging it from 82% to 89% while I was at the store and the clerk was discussing the problem with tech support. Why would this correct things?? I am now thinking that the idea proposed by GreenMonkey of it being a battery calibration problem may be correct after all.

Maybe I just need to charge it to 100%, let it drain quickly to about 80% and then top it off every time? Seems weird, but when you think about it, this is exactly what happens when you get a new Nook home from the store - they are usually charged fairly full, and then you top them off.

Another possible idea - the clerk disconnected the charger from the Nook while the Nook was awake. Normally, after my Nook reaches 100%, when I disconnect it it is asleep (after charging for say 2 hours). I'm wondering if maybe this makes a difference - should you wake your Nook up before disconnecting the charger after it is fully charged?

Anyone have any ideas about this weird behavior?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote