View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #35
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
That's because you aready used Windows (or the experimental deb package) to register the device. It won't work anymore without (but it used to, now it purposely goes out of it's way to disable the kobo until you set up with the Kobo Desktop software).

At the risk of joining the tin foil hat brigade, at this point, I have to questoin just exactly why Kobo is so desperate to force users into installing the kobo software on their pc's. It would have been just as easy to enable to kobo to register itself over internet than the new code they created just to cripple it. There's an ulterior motive here, I don't doubt the least.
I did the set-up on the different computer. It also runs Linux, and I did install the desktop software. Is that what you mean by registering?

The Kobo Desktop software is not, and has never been, installed on the computer I just tested sideloading on.

People were saying it was a conspiracy that they were not being able to annotate on sideloaded ePubs. Yet here we are. If you'd rather image it's a conspiracy, I guess that's your prerogative.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 11-25-2011 at 12:18 AM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote