View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
I've bought several books from Kobo and desktop app malfunctions notwithstanding (decryption errors, black book covers with no text at all), I'm very happy with my Kobo eReader.

I thought that I should download the ePubs as well - when I click on the link all I get is a acsm file containing XML text. I can double-click on that to open in ADE and then I get ePub files in a folder called "My Digital Editions". (or did they come from the Kobo in the first place?)

Is there a way of bypassing ADE to get the ePub? Seems like if the link says "DOWNLOAD EPUB" I should be able to do that? Will the ePub file(s) in "My Digital Editions" persist should my Kobo bite the dust?

Thanks. I'm having a little trouble grasping the big picture.

The acsm is a pointer file telling ADE where to get the book and authorizing it to do so. ADE can't really be eliminated as it is what allows the reading/viewing/downloading of the DRM'd ePub (unless the Kobo software will do the downloading too like the Sony software will, but I don't think it does). Once the file is downloaded to 'My Digital Editions' it will work Kobo or no Kobo.

While it's possible to go back and re-download stuff from Kobo at this point it's always a good idea to also keep a local backup just in case. Folks have lost books many times by relying on the retailer to have them for re-download later.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote