View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
FWIW the interviews would suggest that device makers don't have to actually build the device specifically around the display. The screens being manufactured now are supposed to be more or less plug and play with most existing 10" devices...
Yes, you are right that it should be easy to design around. However, I would suggest that there is no appropriate off-the-shelf designs. You could just plop them in a netbook, but I'm not sure that really gets the sweetspot of the market. You could put them in an existing e-book hardware form factor, but again, I think these units bring other things to the table and you would probably want a different arrangement of buttons/software -- possibly to play video, for example.

The closest ready-to-go designs might be some of the tablet PC designs. Perhaps newly energized using Pixel-Qi, Windows 7, and multi-touch. However, realistically I expect to see new form factors and thus, new designs utilizing these. And these new designs will take some time. Just look at the evolution of the TechCrunch tablet as an example of the time it takes.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote