View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Hi, I'm confused by something. I looked at the Narcissus and the speech quotes are single ' quotes rather than double ".
From what I've seen, British English uses single quotes whereas American English uses double quotes.

The exception is with nested quotes (quotes inside of quotes) where British and American usage is reversed.

American -

Daffy said, "It's not: 'He doesn't have to shoot you now.' It's: 'He doesn't have to shoot me now.' Well, I say he does have to shoot me now!"

British -

Daffy said, 'It's not: "He doesn't have to shoot you now." It's: "He doesn't have to shoot me now." Well, I say he does have to shoot me now'!
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote