View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An iPad with an external Bluetooth keyboard is a perfectly acceptable thesis-writing device. But I do agree that a laptop would be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Wouldn't want to be without any of them, personally, and while I agree with HarryT re. the iPad and Bluetooth keyboard, my daughter's just finished her first year of University and here in the UK at least, the preference is overwhelmingly for laptops.

If your niece already has an iPhone and feels the need for a super-lightweight option for note-taking, then a folding bluetooth keyboard pairs very nicely with an iPhone.

HTH Pete
I have a Zagg Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad. Haven't tried it with iPhone, though I suppose I could if I wanted to. I find the Zagg keyboard more cramped than a normal laptop keyboard. Maybe there are larger bluetooth keyboards, but I'd still rather use a laptop instead, particularly when it'd be nice to have several apps or windows open at once. (EDIT: Laptop has bigger screen than tablet or phone.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
WINDOWS laptops, that is. I've never seen a student with a Mac. I'm sure there must be some, but I think it would perhaps be a mistake not to have a Windows laptop for compatibility reasons. Most university IT departments will only be able to support Windows systems.
Her college says PC or Mac doesn't matter, they support both.

Last edited by unboggling; 06-07-2012 at 01:57 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote