View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 12:58 AM   #64
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Let's take a breath here for a moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
Ever since you exclaimed that my navigation idea would crash the cybook, before you even looked at it, and me knowing that it works fine . . . I've had a hard time taking your word for anything. I hope you can understand that.
Whoa, hang on a moment, cmbs. I think we've got a bit of a mis-communication going on here.

I went back and looked at what HarryT said, and I can't help but wonder if you may have misread it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I understand exactly what you mean, cbms, and I think it's a good idea. My only concern is that, on the Gen3, what would happen if the navigation menu exceeded the limits of what would fit on the screen? It tends to be a little prone to crashing if you try and do things like that to it!
(emphasis added)

I don't see any claim there that anything will happen. Only an expression of concern that something might happen under certain hypothetical circumstances.

From what I see there, HarryT was simply saying that he had noticed a tendency for the Cybook to crash if the nav menu exceeds certain parameters. He was clearly not talking about your sample specifically, he was sharing a general concern which he has about the approach. I haven't tried your sample out either, I don't have a machine to try it on: I'm accepting your statement that it works. And I don't see anywhere that anyone has disputed that it works, actually.

Perhaps you can see, however, that is possible for a more complex navigation scheme than the one you tested to emerge in some other book and exceed those limits?

Given those concerns, and knowing that HarryT is speaking from lots of book formatting experience, and also knowing how much he cares about getting his uploads "just so," it seems to me that his caution at trying a new approach without thoroughly testing it just isn't all that unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
As far as my ideas, I am finished discussing it with you unless you would want to get serious. By that I mean you are actively trying to make it work and for whatever reason have questions or concerns.

I'm sorry I suggested anything to you. I misjudged you. Sorry. Just don't cut my ideas down anymore and I won't come behind you and refute what you said. OK? Sound like a fair deal?

I looked back over the discussion, and other than that single expression of concern, everything HarryT has said about your idea has been pretty supportive.

Just some examples:
Quote:
Good ideas. I'll see what I can do!
Quote:
I understand exactly what you mean, cbms, and I think it's a good idea.
Quote:
I have checked it out and have told you before that I think it's a very good idea. I do intend to start using it myself once I've completed my current round of book updates.
It seems pretty clear to me that HarryT is not in any way trying to cut your ideas down -- quite the contrary, he's said he intends to start working with them, he just wants to finish the projects he's already got going without introducing new factors. Some folks are just picky that way, they have a right to be if they so choose, and it's not a reflection on anyone or anything else.

I know other on-line forums are very ... contentious. Okay, most other on-line forums are out and out snake-pits, just teaming with nasty tempered folks who are absolutely drooling over any chance to attack anyone they can get in their beady-eyed little sights. Does that about cover it?

I'm extremely happy to say that MobileRead really isn't like that.

I've been around here for ... it'll be two whole years on the 30th. The only reason I stayed around even a two weeks was because I could see pretty quickly that this community is very different. Ideas are shared, discussed and built upon in a remarkably respectful manner. People disagree, quite frequently in fact, but it's always respectful. People around here seem to mostly realize that a person's opinion isn't invalidated because it isn't shared by all, and that we can even learn a lot from people we don't agree with. This is the heart of MobileRead, and it's something we all work pretty hard to preserve, because it wouldn't work if we didn't all make it work.

Sure, people do get a bit excited on occasion, and discussions can get a bit heated, but mostly they calm down pretty quickly. And the occasional trouble-maker that wanders in (we do get them sometimes) usually gets bored and wanders back out on their own in pretty short order: it's just no fun for them.

So, putting on my much-hated (by me, anyway) moderator's had for a moment, let me council a bit of calmness. I really don't see that HarryT was trying to talk you down at all, and I'm sure that it's all just a miscommunication. Please accept it from me that he's really a good guy, and that he's not out to get you or anything. If he comes across a bit stiff, well, chalk it up to his being British, that's what I do.

Okay, I'm now taking the deeply-loathed moderator hat back off and tossing it back into the smelly depths of the upstairs closet where it belongs.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote