View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #36873
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I recently got a pair of CICs. Good news: most people never realize I'm wearing them. Bad news: mealtimes now sound like Godzilla strolling through Tokyo.
Not hearing is no more embarrassing than not seeing and needing glasses or losing a leg and needing prosthetics. These are old prejudices that we carried over from our childhood. These days, hearing aid are being made in designer colors and creative designs. The only reason I'd opt to go back to an 'in the canal' model is that it's easier to put on a motorcycle helmet. Besides, everyone has 'something' stuck to their ears these days, be it an iPod, a telephone bluetooth, or if one is retro, a GhettoBlaster. Who really even notices? Perhaps for someone in show biz, or corporate life where a power tie and an Armani suit count more than ability, the old views may still take precedence. Me... I'm old and retired and don't give a damn what people think because I can't hear.

Because of the limited size of the 'in the ear' models, the aid is limited in its ability to deal with variables. I used to wear an 'in the canal' model, but changed to a 'behind the ear' setup when I discovered that there actually was a company that sold good ones for less than a thou... (Starkey and Beltone want $3,000-$4,000 for these! )
I have four different programs that I've set up with mine; one with an omnidirectional mic for general walking around use, one with a hyper-cardioid mic for conversations in very noisy environments, one with a super-cardioid mic for playing and listening to music, and one that shuts off when my wife tries to tell me to take out the trash. OK, actually that one is with a telecoil. I can change programs with a button press on the aid, as well as change the volume settings as desired. And, as my hearing changes, I can plug the aids into my computer and adjust the compression ratio or threshold, change the equalizer settings for 12 channels, and adjust the sound while I'm wearing them to make eating NOT sound like The War of The Worlds, and do it at my convenience, when ever I feel the need. No expensive appointments with the audiologist any more. The two hours I spent on the phone with the tech rep from the company is free when ever I need it, but his training was so clear that using the software to make my own adjustments is child's play! And it's done while I'm wearing them, tapping on glassware, rattling dishes, listening to symphony or speech, and even playing my guitar. If something doesn't sound 'natural,' I can change it in seconds rather than try to explain what the sound sounds like to someone else and hope they can fix it.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote