View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #10
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
One other thing comes to mind- the last high-profile bullying case like this from a game company, at least as far as I can remember, was TSR trying to shut down all other RPG companies on the grounds that TSR had some kind of claim to have originated the concept of a RPG.

It was no coincidence that TSR was bought out by Wizards of the Coast a very short time after this failed; TSR was on the brink of collapse.
Er, no, not really. TSR played some legal games, but they had valid trademarks that Mayfair acknowledged in a contact. The lawsuit was over whether or not they lived up to that contract. And TSR largely lost, since that ruling was bascially that "suitable for use with" was not a trademark violation in the game industry.

The reason TSR was on the brink of collapse was because Gygax wanted to do everything but publish roleplaying game. He wanted to make movies, IIRC, a hobby that costs orders of magnitude more money than TSR was ever worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
This sort of thing makes me wonder if GW's financials are in as good a shape as everyone would like to believe.

Not to say I'll be happy if GW collapses; far the contrary. The only remaining miniatures games have no narrative aspect and feel too much like I'm playing a video game on the tabletop.
The reason there are no other decent miniatures games is that GW has run everybody else out of business. It wouldn't be so bad if their miniatures didn't look so silly.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote