Thread: GPL violation?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #186
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanselda View Post
I am wondering if anyone has received any words from bookeen about this issue, or somebody has already given a push to FSF against bookeen?

No word about the exact nature of the source. Since the Cybook Gen3 uses the hardware and OS that one finds in a Netronix EB-100, one can request the SDK from Netronix. Be prepared to shell out $3,500 plus S&H. Or one could just buy an EB-100, download and install some form of Linux 2.6 as well as a cross-compilation toolchain targeting the Samsung S3C24xx series of ARM processors and develop one's own SDK from there. Realistically, except for the Boo Reader (And the Boo Reader is 100% of the software most customers care about.) the Cybook Gen3 is pretty generic. It's the same hardware (Okay, with the latest hardware changes, it's not "quite" the same as the older versions - like mine.) as an EB-100, STAReBOOK STK-101, ExPlay and the soon-to-be-released Astak Mentor series.

Of course, the Eread software most of these implement sux. TTBOMK, it's rather difficult to convert over to the .stk ebook format and I'm not all that impressed by the creation software. Using either Mobipocket Creator, Mobigen or BookDesigner, one can do a much better job of creating a mobi ebook from PDF, LIT, TXT or HTML sources.

While I'm not thrilled with the latest update, kudos to Bookeen for choosing a decent target ebook format.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote