View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
kajoob
kajoob doesn't litterkajoob doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Talking

I liked my Kobo when I first got it, but I hate to agree, the K3 is a way better device. Lightning fast page turns and sharper contrast than the Kobo. It takes the Kobo 47 seconds from "off" to reading a book. Doesn't sound like a lot, but that is horrid - the K3 takes mere moments.

My one reservation about getting the Kindle was its inability to display epub documents. I got my copy of 1984 in epub format and, with a couple mouse clicks in Calibre, converted it and transferred it to my K3 and it looks great. Couple that with the fact that the K3 has wifi.

I wonder how Amazon is able to sell a device like that for only $139? Are they simply selling it as a loss leader for their book store? I still really like my Kobo, but with the price war that's going on it's going to have to go beyond it's $129 price tag to compete.

If the Kobo price were lowered to $89 or something ridiculous, Jeff Bezos would crap his drawers. The Kobo has flaws, but nothing than can't be looked over for the right price. I'd like to see the Kobo fire a shot across Amazon's bow with a drastic price war like that. It would certainly get people's attention to a really good ereader that's not being talked about.

I think I'm going to keep my Kindle. I think I may sell the Kobo, but I kinda don't want to, she's been good to me. I might give it to my girlfriend and load it with Twilight books. *sigh* Unless anybody here wants to buy a mint Kobo for cheap.

Last edited by kajoob; 09-15-2010 at 10:11 PM.
kajoob is offline   Reply With Quote