View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
What do you guys think of Terry Goodkind? I really enjoyed the first season of "Legend of the Seeker" which is somewhat loosely based on the "Sword of Truth" series, so I began reading them this summer. I am currently on book 8 (of 11). I enjoyed the first few books - nothing fantastic, but fun to read. They get worse as they go on. I kept reading them because I am curious to see how the series will end. Don't get me wrong, the books aren't terrible... you'll get these interesting bits mixed up with boring, repetitive, preachy bits, and I'm not crazy about some of the newer characters introduced, while some favourites seem to have disappeared from the story. All in all, I feel that Goodkind is yet another writer who could use a good editor.
I think that is quite common when it comes to series that span over to many volumes without beeing loosely connected stories about the same characters. As in Orson Scott Cards Ender series etc etc, where each book can be read by itself really, while they still follow a somewhat connected plotline.

When you get mastodoonworks that are suposed to be a continuing storyline I think it in the end gets to the point where the author as you said "looses focus" and just keeps going. As if the story takes on a life on it's own and refuses to just die in peace.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote