View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
@Loeffel
Hmm - sounds a lot like I experienced.
However I run Vista64, but ... not important I think.
In january I didn't really want to start over (again), but renaming metadata.calibre, reconnect etc. having Calibre re-create the file, it was just way too small, still missing imformation.
Ran fw 3.0.3/run fw 3.1, no mods/jailbreaks.
I suggest you do a backup of what you've got on your K3 first off all.
Then try to re-send a problem book to if anything changes.
If not, try to delete the book on K3, send it from calibre and check.
I tried to fix it this way, but didn't work out (can't remember the calibre version)

I'm NOT recommending you to do the following, unless you're sure:
I did a full backup of my K3 just in case.
Then I did a factory reset of K3
Send books from calibre ( not too many at once ) and wait for indexing to finish.
Collections I setup using meme's Kindle Collections plugin.
I did have challenges with the old annotation files, and never figured a smart way to fix.
Since then I've had no problems.

BUT ... I've changed my rutines since then.
Before plugin in K3, I make sure Calibre is not running.
Then I connect K3, make a backup copy of *.calibre files and maybe the collections.json.
Now I dare to start Calibre, wait, and then wait. Do what ever I want to do (send books, fetch annotations, manage collections etc.)
Once done in calibre, I wait at least 1 min. Shutdown Calibre, wait 1 min, from Vista Explorer, eject K3, wait a bit and then safely remove (not in win7)
This has worked for me fine since january,
Why did it happen ? Well, I might have been too fast disconnecting at some point (incredible I know ) or a windows update did something strange.
I don't the calibre windows eject function has changed in ages. Kovid is not too impressed with windows usb functions

Hope this makes sense, and might help you along.
I suspect you're like me - Calibre and device info MUST be in sync and correct !
Cheers, Per
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote