View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #6
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by msr View Post
Very interesting. Seems to work pretty well so far. A few comments.

1. I have more than 100 shelves in Goodreads, but the plugin only retrieves the first 100. I suspect this is a Goodreads API issue as opposed to an issue with your plugin, but it's something to look into (at this point I don't foresee personally trying to access any past the first few anyway for my own purposes, but it's something others may need to do).
More than 100 shelves? Why do you have so many? I am genuinely intrigued?

As for the plugin limiting to 100, that was my own threshold, not a limitation of the API. I could not think of a reason as to why someone would have anywhere near that many, and already someone just has I will remove the threshold in my next release.
Quote:
2. Currently one can add a set of books to a Goodreads shelf, or pull all of the books from a shelf and add them to Calibre (and/or add tags or similar options to the data in Calibre. Once a book is linked, I'd like to see more book<->book operations (as opposed to shelf operations). For example, syncing my rating of a book in calibre with the book in Goodreads (or visa-versa).
Yes I confess to having had similar thoughts in the past in using this plugin as a way to update metadata, though obviously that overlaps with the metadata download plugins. Pulling data from the book such as a rating is no big deal technically, it is just how to fit it into the UI that I haven't given thought to yet. Suggestions welcomed - particularly as some users would I am sure potentially want to use this as an alternative to the "near-random sourced metadata" that hitting Ctrl+D provides. It opens the same can of worms that some of us have requested more control over with normal metadata download - specifically allowing the ability to choose which fields get overwritten, quite possibly on a book by book basis. You will not "always" want the value for a field from Goodreads if you have already sourced a better value yourself from elsewhere.

As for pushing a rating up to Goodreads, I had someone else mention that as well as I believe that comes under the banner of creating a review? Certainly the API supports that, again it is just the question of the UI design.
Quote:
Or creating tags in calibre for a book that match all of the shelves it's on in Goodreads (that is, rather than pulling all books from a shelf, pull all shelves for a book).
This sounds a fairly unique requirement. The data is available in the API for every book as to what shelves you have it on but I don't make use of it. What exact example scenario do you have where this would be useful?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote