View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonKoo View Post
I downloaded the v1.31 german firmware for the Story HD Wifi version. Installed in on a Story HD basic (without Wifi). That worked.
That's quite dangerous. I did the same thing, worked for me too, but it bricked when trying to go back to the basic firmware. So you're stuck with Wifi firmware forever now and without Wifi you can't even upgrade. So I don't recommend this to any Story HD Basic user, esp. since there is no known way to unbrick the device (other than iriver service).

Besides, the wifi firmwares introduced several bugs which still aren't fixed today, but weren't present in the old 1.13 basic firmware. Same goes for annoying features such as the reading progress bar. Also the basic device was more responsive (didn't take that long to go to standby and back) than the wifi version.

This is just my personal opinion, but I liked the 1.13 basic firmware so much I'd put it on my Wifi reader in a heartbeat if I knew for sure it could be done without bricking.

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-13-2012 at 04:47 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote