View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Frankly, the more I think about it, the more I find it disturbing that a book of this level is being discounted or even criticized for one brutal scene. Are we entering a new phase of reader-driven-censorship? Do we want writers to tell us just fairy tales, to convince us that growing up in a war-torn country was all smiles and hugs?
What exactly is reader-driven censorship? If it is the choice to read anything I want, and to comment on anything I choose with being thrown in jail or something, then, yes, I guess that's what this is.

I just don't choose at this particular stage in my life to read the gritty descriptive literature -- I'm all about escape these days. But I don't think giving an opinion or a criticism about a book is actually censorship, unless my opinion makes the book unavailable in some way for someone else to read. (And I'm pretty sure my opinion isn't worth that much to anybody! )
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote