View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #35
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I don't see apple outselling amazon in ebooks anytime soon.Lee
Thanks to everyone chiming in on my iPad question.

I'm not convinced Apple has to outsell Amazon, just capture and hold enough market share to give publishers a credible alternative.

I'm not (yet) impressed[1] with Amazon's "80% marketshare" because Amazon hasn't released breakdowns (and we all know where the devil likes to hide).

In all the discussion of Amazon's recent press release, not much attention seems to have been paid to the fact that Bezios specifically acknowledged that hardcover sales were also up. Speculating wildly here, might it be possible that the bulk of Amazon's ebook sales represent indies & self-pubs rather than cannibalized pbook sales[2]? On the off-chance that's actually true, we may be a bit premature in sending for whom the bell tolls.

--Nathanael

[1] Aside from its usefulness as an admittedly impressive bit of marketing propaganda.

[2] Really just another way of asking leebase's question: what's the ebook/pbook ratio specifically for those books available in hardcover?

Last edited by Nathanael; 07-23-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote