View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #32
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
In case someone would be interested, I'll post a small report.

My conversion to Linux is nearly complete, and apart from playing games, I can do everything I did on Windows, with the same programs... even ADE.

- ADE 1.7.2 can be installed under Wine 1.7.5 (latest, atm). PlayOnLinux makes this quite easy.
- All instructions for Windows also count for Linux. Just use the same PlayOnLinux drive.
- After that, ADE/Calibre will work just like they do on Windows.

Pity that ADE 2.0 does not (yet...) run under Wine. I wonder how long Adobe will allow ADE 1.7.2 to activate. If that stops working, one would be obliged to have a Windows or Mac-installation at hand just to buy and download DRM-ed ebooks.

I'll always have one to play games(1) but to be honest, it'd be idiotic.

(1)
Spoiler:

The nVidia-driver replaced "Scale to Aspect Ratio" with "more powerful and flexible options", but it's broken... again..., so I just don't bother with Windows-games on Linux. Oh, by the way: those "powerful options" are so fracking complicated that no-one but the creators seem to fully understand them.

About a year ago, "Scale to Aspect Ratio" was just a checkbox, and it actually WORKED. But noooo, being nerds to the core, they could NEVER abide by something that just worked as expected, right? So they HAD to go and replace it with something very complicated that breaks every other driver update

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-29-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote