View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
Hey all,

I am looking for a good color tablet/ereader to read large sized color PDFs (like textbooks) and some CBZ comic files.

I was considering a Nook HD+....but have a few questions about it.

If anyone could chime in, I'd really appreciate it!

1) How easy is it to sideload PDF and CBZ to this HD+? I have Nook ST, and it's as easy as dragging and dropping the files to My Books folder...is it the same on a Nook HD+?
Just as easy. The Nook HD+ uses MTP to transfer the files, so it appears as a drive on your PC.

Quote:
2) Proprietary charging cable? Yikes! Any cheap sources online for this cable? I don't like the idea of proprietary cables, especially for what BN charges for replacements.
No idea about this one.

Quote:
3) Rooting....what is this? Is it something I want to do? I never bothered looking up 'rooting' for my Nook ST, because frankly, all I need it for is to read streaming text...which it does perfectly out of the box. Would you recommend rooting this? I assume rooting means wiping the BN OS off of it, and replacing with with a stock Android OS...will this break any of the reading functionality of the device?
Rooting means getting superuser access to the device, it does not mean wiping the device and installing a new software. Rooting allows you to change settings that are not available (like installing from unknown sources), or doing more advanced things like installing a firewall. If you only want to sideload apps, you can do that without rooting.

Quote:
4) Weight...this looks to weigh a bit less than the ipad 2...is it comfortable to hold for long periods?
I still find it a bit heavy, for ePubs, an eInk device is much better, I only read those on the Nook Glow and use the HD+ for media consumption.

Quote:
5) What's it like on the eyes trying to read text files like epub? Good, or should I stick with the Nook ST for epub and text files?
The screen is superb, but as said above, I still prefer eInk for reading.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote