View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
I wouldn't mind zip much, but rar is a non-free format to the point that I know of no free creator for it. It's popular for the simple reason that it compresses well, but that's a bit of a marginal factor here.

Zip isn't actually supported by default on most unix-like systems, but fairly easily installable (typically the info-zip implementation).

Tar and gzip (separate stages, as you noticed extracting one at a time) usually are, except on Windows. Still, it's fairly easy to install there, as 7-zip and a bunch of other programs support it. The non-free programs WinZip and WinRAR both do.

If you want a more level playground, 7z archives would force everybody to look up 7-zip, which is both free and available to each platform. It's growing in popularity as it compresses quite well. Compared to rar, I guess its weakness is that it doesn't have a redundant multi-part feature (where you can lose a part and still get your data), but you can do that with parchive. It's rarely needed, anyway, but made sense when dealing with floppies.

In short, I would suggest the reason is likely habit; we always have tar. Making zips requires an extra installation step.

Addendum: It would appear ExtractNow also supports tar.gz, but from some sort of messy-DOS tradition doesn't recognize this extension. It might do the right thing if you rename the .tar.gz to .tgz instead, and your .tar.g-0 may be a misnamed .tar.

Last edited by LoneTech; 11-25-2010 at 08:51 AM.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote