View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #81
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtex View Post
You first have to disable the Special Offers. See here.

For all of you who think it is somehow unethical to do that, may I remind you that the Kindle runs GNU Linux. You are completely within your right to add files on the operating system (in this case a blank .assets file) as per the GPL.
That is not what GPL is. GPL v3 is a software license that gives Amazon the right to use the software provided they contribute to the project and release the source (which they've done). It has nothing to do with the filesystem that the software is located on. In addition the ad manager is NOT GPL, it is amazon's code. Also, if amazon wants to prevent users from modifying the open source software, they can. The license is an agreement between Amazon and the open source software makers, not them and the users. Yes, you have the right to modify system files in my opinion, but it isn't because of the GPL license of the software. If you want to remove ads, fine, do so, but don't justify it with faulty arguments. I do not consider it illegal because I am for complete control of the device (although amazon may be of different opinion, in fact, in their TOS, jailbreaking in general is against their terms, which they could say is legally binding). I consider it unethical because the user given the choice of removing ads for $40 (unlike many services where the option is not provided at all) and by bypassing Amazon out of their $40 is unethical (regardless that they're a huge company that makes millions).

Last edited by yifanlu; 01-16-2012 at 01:05 PM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote